How to Get St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship – The Ultimate Guide
We put together this guide for individuals considering applying for a second passport and wondering how to get St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship.
There are several ways you can become a citizen of this idyllic twin-island nation in the Caribbean, each of which has criteria which must be met in order for you to become eligible.
This guide explores the various pathways to citizenship under the country’s Citizenship by Investment Program, the criteria for each route and the benefits of acquiring citizenship in detail.
Introduction to St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship by Investment Program
Citizenship by Investment in Real Estate
Citizenship by Contribution to the Sustainable Growth Fund (SGF)
Accelerated Application Process
Benefits of St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship
Does St Kitts & Nevis Allow Dual Citizenship?
Find Out More
St Kitts & Nevis – officially known as the Federation of Saint Christopher and Nevis – is the smallest sovereign state in the western hemisphere. The twin-island nation comprises the larger island of St Kitts and its smaller sister island Nevis. The islands are renowned for lush rainforest-covered mountains which descend to golden sand beaches.
Small and beautiful, the islands offer a tranquility that is hard to find elsewhere. The islands are warm and welcoming and benefit from a low crime rate and high quality of life. Thanks to the combination of these factors, both the tourism sector and the real estate sector have recorded significant growth in recent years, emerging as one of the top destinations for individuals searching for the security and freedom that can come with a second passport.
The Federation operates the world’s longest established economic citizenship program (CIP) which was was first introduced in 1984 shortly after gaining independence.
The program offers applicants meeting certain stringent criteria the opportunity to obtain full citizenship in exchange for either an investment in approved real estate in either island or a significant financial contribution to a government fund designed to support the economic development of the nation.
Under the Citizenship by Investment Program, qualifying individuals who make an investment in designated real estate may be eligible for citizenship.
The real estate route offers full ownership and shared ownership options.
To qualify for the real estate route of the Program under the full ownership option, a principal applicant is required to make a minimum investment of US $400,000 in real estate in the country.
The investment must be held for 5 years before resale.
Family members may be included in the application of the principal applicant subject to payment of additional fees:
- Principal Applicant – US $35,000
- Spouse – US $20,000
- Each Dependant – US $10,000
- Principal Applicant – US $7,500
- Spouse – US $4,000
- Each Dependant – US $4,000
Under the shared ownership option, two principals making an investment of at least US $200,000 in qualifying real estate in St Kitts & Nevis may qualify.
In this case the investment must be held for 7 years before resale.
As under the full ownership option, family members may be included in the application of the principal applicant subject to payment of additional fees. N.B. The same fee structure applies.
Approved Real Estate
Searching for approved real estate? Discover a wide selection of approved St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship by Investment real estate
A second pathway to obtaining citizenship is via the Sustainable Growth Fund (SGF) which was first launched in April 2018.
To qualify for this route, applicants must make a significant financial contribution to the country’s economy.
Sustainable Growth Fund (SGF) Fees
- Main Applicant – US $150,000
- Family of Four (spouse, main applicant, 2 children) – US $195,000
- Additional family dependents: – US $25,000
- Family of 4: For a limited period (until 31 December 2020), the required donation for a family of 4 has been reduced to US $150,000 (rather than US $195,000)
In October 2016 the Government of St Kitts & Nevis introduced an Accelerated Application Process (AAP). This process accelerates the processing time for applications in exchange for a supplementary fee as follows:
Accelerated Application Process – Fees
- Main Applicant – US $25,000
Each Dependant – US $20,000
Under the Accelerated Application Process, the processing of applications will be fast tracked by the Citizenship by Investment Unit, Due Diligence Providers and the St Kitts and Nevis Passport Office. Most applications are typically processed within a period of 45 days. This process also includes the fast tracked application and processing of your new passport.
- Enjoy visa-free or visa on arrival travel to 156 countries and territories including all EU member states, the UK, Russia and Switzerland.
- The program has no residency requirement or requirement to visit St Kitts & Nevis.
- St Kitts & Nevis has a highly attractive tax environment with freedom from tax on income on overseas earnings, capital gains and inheritance.
- Full citizenship is granted for life.
- Family members (spouse and children) can be included in the application of the principal applicant.
- Enjoy privacy in small, beautiful, peaceful and stable island nation which is a member of the Commonwealth.
- Dual citizenship allowed – see below.
- Wide choice of approved real estate investment options, including freehold homes, apartments and condominiums, shared ownership options and unique options such as marina slips.
- The country is committed to expanding its visa waiver program with more countries as demonstrated by recent agreements with countries such as Mexico, Georgia, Albania and the Marshall Islands.
- Passport issued valid for 10 years and can be renewed thereafter.
Dual citizenship is allowed in St Kitts & Nevis. This means that you can be a citizen of St Kitts & Nevis and also a citizen of other countries. You can therefore apply for citizenship of St Kitts & Nevis and keep your original citizenship. St Kitts & Nevis does not report citizenship information to other countries.
Would you like to find out more about becoming a citizen of St Kitts & Nevis?
To explore your options in more detail, please explore the full details of the St Kitts & Nevis Citizenship by Investment Program on our website or contact 7th Heaven Properties, the Luxury Caribbean Property Specialist.
To discover approved real estate investment on other nearby islands which could be your gateway to a second passport, explore the full range of Caribbean Citizenship by Investment Real Estate options we can introduce you to.
We look forward to helping you explore the options for you and your family.