Interested in how to obtain citizenship of St Lucia? Discover the details of the application process, costs and benefits of St Lucia’s citizenship program.
St Lucia Citizenship by Investment Program
In an uncertain world increasing numbers of people are applying for a second citizenship for themselves and their families. A second passport can provide greater freedom to travel internationally, peace of mind and financial benefits. If you have are thinking about applying for second citizenship, St Lucia could be an option for you to consider.
St Lucia operates a Citizenship by Investment Program which enables qualifying investors to apply for full citizenship in exchange for a significant investment in the nation’s economy. There are several approved investment routes available to investors including an investment in an approved real estate project. As experts in Caribbean real estate, 7th Heaven Properties can introduce you to investment opportunities which are officially approved for the real estate route of the St Lucia Citizenship Program.
Overview of the St Lucia CIP
In 2016 St Lucia introduced a Citizenship by Investment Program (CIP) offering eligible investors the opportunity to apply for full citizenship of the island. Applicants were formerly required to have a minimum net worth of $3 million USD and make a significant contribution to St Lucia’s economy through one of several routes, including an investment in real estate in St Lucia. In January 2017 the Government of St Lucia introduced new regulations which reduced the level of investment required and removed the minimum net worth requirement.
As a consequence of the reforms to the regulations, St Lucia is now the least expensive Citizenship by Investment option in the Caribbean.
For details, please see the sections below.
What are the Benefits of St Lucian Citizenship?
Successful applicants of the St Lucia Citizenship by Investment Program and family members of applicants (where relevant) are granted full citizenship of St Lucia which entails a range of benefits, as follows:
- Travel benefits: Passport offering visa-free or visa on arrival access to 120+ countries worldwide, including the EU Schengen countries, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysia.
- Right to live and work in St Lucia and other Caricom (Caribbean Community) countries. N.B. Successful applicants are not actually required to permanently reside in St Lucia but the option is available.
- Rights and privileges of citizenship of a Commonwealth country in the UK and other Commonwealth countries.
Who is Eligible? Qualification Requirements
St Lucia’s Citizenship by Investment Program was brought into force via the Citizenship by Investment Act No. 14 of 2015 and the eligibility requirements for the program were outlined in the Citizenship by Investment Saint Lucia Regulations S.I. 89 of 2015. The eligibility requirements have been subsequently revised in the Citizenship by Investment Amendment Saint Lucia Regulations S.I. No. 3 of 2016.
To qualify for St Lucia’s Citizenship Program, applicants are required to make a significant financial contribution to the country via 1 of 3 routes as follows:
- An investment of $300,000 USD in an approved St Lucia real estate project.
- A non-refundable contribution of $200,000 USD to the St Lucia National Economic Fund.
- A purchase of Government Bonds amounting to $500,000 USD.
- An investment into an Approved Enterprise Project. Sole applicant minimum investment: $3,500,000 USD; Joint investor minimum investment: $6,000,000 USD with each applicant contributing a minimum of $1,000,000 USD.
How to Apply? The Application Process
Decisions on applications for citizenship of St Lucia are typically made within 3 months of submission of the application form.
The application process involves the following steps:
- Applicants for the St Lucia Citizenship by Investment Program are required to complete application forms which must be submitted in the English language in print and in digital form, together with all required supporting documentation and fees, via an authorized Agent. We can introduce you to respected Agents with experience of the CIP Program.
- The application will be thoroughly reviewed by the Citizenship by Investment Board.
- Strict due diligence will be conducted in relation to the application.
- If approved, applicants are required to pay the remaining fees. The passport(s) will then be made available to successful applicants.
What are the Costs? Citizenship by Investment Program Application Fees
Non-refundable government processing fees:
- $2,000 USD for the main applicant.
- $10,000 USD for each qualifying dependent.
Non-refundable administration fees (applicable for an approved real estate or enterprise project investment):
- $50,000 USD for the main applicant.
- $35,000 USD for each qualifying dependent.
Non-refundable due diligence fees – payable upon submission of application:
- $7,500 USD for the main applicant.
- $5,000 USD for each qualifying dependent.
For more information, take a look at our recent blog post on St Lucia’s Citizenship by Investment Program.