Interested in how to obtain citizenship of Antigua & Barbuda? Discover the details of the application process, costs and benefits of Antigua’s citizenship program.
Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship by Investment
In an uncertain world increasing numbers of people are applying for a second citizenship for themselves and their families. A second passport can provide greater freedom to travel internationally, peace of mind and financial benefits. If you have are thinking about applying for second citizenship, Antigua & Barbuda could be an option for you to consider.
Antigua & Barbuda operates a Citizenship by Investment Program which enables qualifying investors to apply for full citizenship in exchange for a significant investment in the nation’s economy. There are several approved investment routes available to investors including an investment in an approved real estate project. As experts in Caribbean real estate, 7th Heaven Properties can introduce you to investment opportunities which are officially approved for the real estate route of the Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship Program.
Overview of the Antigua Citizenship Program
In 2013 Antigua and Barbuda launched a Citizenship by Investment Program which offers eligible applicants full citizenship in exchange for an investment of at least $400,000 USD in Antigua real estate.
Several of our property listings in Antigua are approved projects under the CIP program.
What are the Benefits of Antiguan Citizenship?
Successful applicants of the Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Program and family members of applicants (where relevant) are granted full citizenship of Antigua & Barbuda which entails a range of benefits, as follows:
- Travel benefits: Passport offering access to 130+ countries without challenging visa requirements, including Canada, Hong Kong, Singapore and visa-free access to the EU Schengen countries for a period of up to 3 months.
- Tax benefits: No capital gains tax, no inheritance tax and citizens only temporarily resident in Antigua are only taxed on income sourced in Antigua & Barbuda and not taxed on their worldwide income.
- Right to live and work in Antigua & Barbuda. N.B. Successful applicants are not actually required to permanently reside in Antigua but the option is available.
- Rights and privileges of citizenship of a Commonwealth country in the UK and other Commonwealth countries.
Who is Eligible? Qualification Requirements
The eligibility requirements for Antigua’s Citizenship Program are outlined in the Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Act, 2013 and the Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Regulations, 2014.
To qualify for Antigua’s Citizenship by Investment Program, applicants are required to make a significant financial contribution to the country via 1 of 3 routes as follows:
- An investment of $400,000 USD in an approved Antigua real estate project (N.B. the property must be held for a minimum of 5 years). You can search our Antigua real estate listings for approved properties in Antigua.
- A non-refundable contribution of $100,000 USD to the National Development Fund.
- An investment into an eligible business, either as sole investor or joint investor. Sole investor minimum investment: $1,500,000 USD; Joint investor minimum investment: $400,000 per person with a minimum of 2 persons and a total investment of at least $5,000,000 USD.
How to Apply? The Application Process
Decisions on applications for citizenship of Antigua & Barbuda are typically made within 3-4 months of submission of the application form.
The application process involves the following steps:
- Applicants for the Antigua Citizenship by Investment Program are required to complete government forms in the English language which must be submitted, together with all required supporting documentation and fees, to the Citizenship by Investment Unit (CIU) via an authorized Agent. We can introduce you to respected Agents with experience of the CIP Program.
- The application will be thoroughly reviewed by the CIU. Applicants may be required to attend an interview and the CIU will conduct strict due diligence in relation to the application.
- If approved, applicants are required to pay the remaining fees. The passport(s) will then be available for collection either in Antigua & Barbuda or at an Embassy or Consulate. At this time applicants will take an oath of allegiance.
What are the Costs? Citizenship by Investment Program Application Fees
Non-refundable government processing fees – 10% payable upon submission of application; remainder payable upon receipt of approval letter:
- $50,000 USD for the main applicant.
- $50,000 USD for any spouse, dependent child aged 18-25 or parent aged 65+.
- $25,000 USD for any dependent child aged under 18.
Non-refundable due diligence fees – payable upon submission of application:
- $7,500 USD for the main applicant.
- $7,500 USD for any spouse.
- $2,000 USD for any dependent child aged 12-17.
- $4,000 USD for any dependent child aged 18-25.
- $4,000 USD for any parent aged 65+.
- $300 USD per person for issuance of passport.
For more information, take a look at our Antigua & Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Program FAQ.